Passionate about the education and welfare of international pupils and students, my employment has included setting up several departments almost from scratch. A visionary with
drive, enthusiasm and initiative to make things happen, getting the best out of a team by being honest and respecting cultural differences. Before I retire, I wish to make wider use of my skills and experience to help integrate and educate internationals in
British culture, education and business.
Recent Work History
Cambridge English Class Ltd, August 2015 to date: Managing Director
The Leys School, Cambridge,
September 1996 to August 2015: Head of International Support:
The role developed following setting up the ESOL Department in 1996. Some key areas included:
- Teaching twenty
lessons per week plus two afternoon clinics and an evening session of two hours
- production of entrance papers to ascertain whether, with adequate support, pupils will be able to access the academic curriculum
- integration both socially and
- making sure pupils achieve the necessary English language qualifications to matriculate into, and flourish within a good university
- provide subject specific areas where pupils are struggling with writing, reading, engaging in class
discussions and most importantly vocabulary
- liaison with SMT and Housemasters, most significantly regarding the whole school induction programme
- ensuring all The Leys staff are aware of cultural issues and etiquette
- keeping updated
on new issues, trends and initiatives in the education and pastoral care of international pupils by attending suitable meeting/conferences such as BAISIS
- meet all new staff for an initial induction and follow up with more detailed meetings and be
responsible for the ongoing development though InSet
- responsibility for an international pupil welcome package including the production of a handbook and advise the Headmaster and Deputy on necessary changes
- arrange cultural trips for Leave
Weekends to places that are of significant historical interest and/or prospective university choices
- Co-ordinator for The Leys - Aoyama Gakuin High School and The Leys- ACS International School, Singapore exchanges.
Schools, Cambridge, June 1985 - August 1996: Student Service Centre Manager
UK State schools, September1980 to July 1985: Teacher of English and Drama.
Cambridge Programmes, Director Rebecca Clark: Two week intensive English Courses, summers 2004 to 2007 and 2013 to 2015. Teaching English and Drama to Chinese speaking children aged 10 to 18.
Education and Development Society (CEEDS) July/August 2012, July/August 2013 and lectures during 2014/2015. CEEDS is a non-profit society officially registered at the University of Cambridge and founded during the 800th anniversary. The society is mainly aimed
at promoting education and culture exchange between UK and China and providing personal development opportunities from China-related businesses. April 2014, 12 day trip to China, visiting seven or eight schools in the Shanghai, Hangzhou and Nanjing districts
as the Senior Educational Advisor.
The Leys School Science Study Trips to Canada. July for six years (between 2006 to 2013),twelve days, based in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto and Niagara Falls The trip usually included around 30 organised activities,
4 optional activities and 8 science seminars.
The Leys – Aoyama Gakuin High School visits to Tokyo in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. Inviited to Aoyama Gakuin High School in own right in 2016.
Development Brief Summary
Association of Educational Guardians in Independent Schools (AEGIS), regular conference delegate and paper presented ‘Impact of Cultural Diversity on Overseas Pupils’, October 2009, ‘Bullying within
cultural groups and between cultural groupings’, November 2014 and April 2015
BAISIS Bullying Presentation January 2014 and follow up session at BAISIS AGM in October 2014
Cambridge English CLASS Limited, Culture, Language, Academic Skills
Specialists, Managing Director, August 2013 to present – see www.cambridgeenglishclass.com
Most Recent Positions of Responsibility
British Association of
Independent Schools with International Students (BAISIS), Elected to Executive Committee Pastoral Training, October 2013
Association of Educational Guardians in Independent Schools (AEGIS), Advisory Committee Member from September 2015